From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2015 17:20:17 -0600
belong
to beekeepers other than farmers and are located in villages
and towns, or, by permission of the farmer or landowner,
are kept in out-of-the-way places on farms or hidden in the
recesses of the hills, away from frequented roads where they
would be readily observed.

This is still an issue,  here in IL,  there are more unregistered hives than registered in my opinion.  I am sure that is similar elsewhere.  Due to crazy state rules,  most people don't want to register at all (sorry Steve) as soon as you register your subject to many headaches, most don't know or care about regs like that.

It seems to me just trying to look at hive production and trying to measure apples to apples ( IE singles or doubles) is the best measurement of productivity.

Charles