From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2010 14:06:30 -0500
Hi all

While it is true that Google Books has made a mountain of material available, and true that I take full advantage of it, -- it is also true that there exists a very nice collection of *selected* historical beekeeping material, organized in a much better fashion at:

http://bees.library.cornell.edu/b/bees/browse.html

We hope that eventually The Hive and the Honeybee will contain every major pre-1925 beekeeping work in the English language. The texts in this digital collection are fully searchable, and will also become part of the Core Historical Literature of Agriculture (CHLA).

How fitting E.F. Phillips would find that beekeepers are again playing a central role in realizing a major new development for the Phillips collection. And how thrilled he and his original beekeeping collaborators would be to see the internet make a storehouse of beekeeping knowledge accessible to the world today.

Mann Library would like to extend special thanks to the Eastern Apiculture Society and Mike Griggs for providing the initial inspiration and funding to create The Hive and the Honeybee online library. We are equally grateful to the many generous beekeeping associations, extension agencies, and individuals across the United States -- from Florida to Maine and New York to Washington State -- who have provided funding for the continued development of this digital collection.