From:
David Tharle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2011 08:53:01 -0600
On 9/25/2011 5:45 AM, Bob Darrell wrote:
> Hi David and all
>
> Does this mean you use one 50ml pad per hive? Single brood box?

Sorry Bob,

Yes the devil is in the details. We run singles.  Medhat is recommending
two pads on doubles.  I've "heard" some mixed  results with that rate,
but I won't comment further as we don't run them and have no experience
with it.

Most of us use "Dri Loc 50" pads.  They come lightly attached in strips
of 4 pads, 500 strips to a bale; roughly $70/ bale.  Pads are charged
with 40ml of formic each.  In the 3kg (6.6 lb) pail 40 pads on end with
1.6 litre of Formic.  If we're going to be treating a lot of hives in a
day (say 500 or more for a specific application, not just another step
in our colony work through), we use 15 kg (33 lb) pails with 125 pads
and 5 litres of formic.  Other guys add more pads and measure in more
formic accordingly.  I found that with a greater number of pads, it was
harder to get even absorption and well......it made the pail heavy and
ackward for the first couple yards :<).  On our 6 frame nucs we use a
"Dri Loc 40" pad with 30 mls of formic.

Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB
Canada