Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:23:31 -0400
> The Apiguard label does not allow for use when honey supers are on, but we
> have tested, and don't notice any thymol taste or smell in the honey.  I am
> not promoting off-label use, but was curious.

Agree, but my observation was not due to curiosity but expediency.

I had a very interesting summer with the long cold and wet of spring and  no
real buildup since there were few dandelions and near zero clover. Summer
came in September and the colonies built up rapidly. But they also built up
on Varroa so had to treat. But at that point the supers were not close to
being capped so what to do?

I decided to move an inner cover below the broodless supers, as if I had
extracted and was preparing for fall. I treated the lower, brood filled hive
bodies with Apiguard. I put in the second treatment  and did not check the
honey supers other than a quick look and they were still filling them.

But, when the treatment was done, I checked the the supers and there was
brood. She obviously moved up to get away from the fumes but the amount of
brood was about what I would have got in some summers without the inner
cover as a block.

So I extracted the broodless supers and left the rest to clear with the
colder weather, which is what is happening.

The extracted honey did not have enough thymol to notice the smell. I was
surprised, since when the treatment was going on, you could smell it when
you walked by the colonies.

I reserved that honey for home use. Tastes great, BTW.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine