From:
Dennis Murrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:54:11 -0600
Hello Allen,

I was one of those who wrote about my experience with powdered sugar. The
mites reaction to sugar is interesting to watch. I have seen some leap or
jump off the bee as soon as the powdered sugar hits them. Others are more
unaffected but after a couple of minutes find the sugar uncomfortable and
fall off as they attempt to move. The most resistant are the mites
between the tergites. Yet, after 15 minutes almost no mites are left
there especially if the bees are smoked and run. I have read that the
mites will dislodge themselves when the bees are alarmed. Maybe the smoke
and sugar achieve this.

Also some mite fall increases through the following morning. I speculate
that the mites are exposed to more powdered sugar as the bees continue to
clean up empty cells.

The powdered sugar does more than just cause the mites to loose their
footings. Dusted mites cannot right themselves and soon die. Maybe it
desiccates or suffocates them. Some of these mites could also be removed
from empty cells the following morning.

I monitored mites on a tray beneath a screened bottom board and sometimes
a bee or two would get beneath the screen while I was counting mites on
the tray. At the next visit these bees would be covered with mites. It
was interesting to dust them and watch what happens.

Dennis