From:
dan hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:22:04 -0700
One problem I haven't seen mentioned.  I cut out most of the bottom
board and installed 1/8" hardware cloth on the top and reinstalled.
A whole layer of bees then located themselves on the bottom side of
the cloth!  In that position they would catch any mites which fell
through.  So I stapled a sheet of plastic onto the bottom side to
prevent this.  Now I read that at this spacing, the mites will crawl
back up.  If I made and installed a sticky board both problems would
be solved but I had hoped to do this an easier way.  I suppose in
late fall and winter few bees would congegrate on the bottom side but
maybe not since they are likely congegregating on the top side, too.
I wonder, too, how the mites fall through a layer of bees on top of
the screen.  Dan