From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:04:38 EDT
In a message dated 4/6/00 7:12:27 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<Having a few hives in my back yard to do a little show-and-tell would not
work too well when I had to put on armor to work the bees.>>

   Perhaps I need a better understanding of what protective equipment is
needed over and above the usual bee suit, veil, gloves, smoker, and perhaps
bootbands to work with AHB. The only recommended change that I am aware of to
the aforementioned equipment list for AHB is to get a bigger smoker.
   This is anecdotal, but I don't know too many hobbyists who start out
working their hives in less than what's described above. And you're
right—hobbyists who want to paw in and tinker with live hives, passing frames
around to all the family members and friends, may have to change their ways.
Does that kill the joy? For some, definitely. Not for me.
  And change will be necessary for experienced beekeepers who saunter around
the apiary in flimsy cotton short sleeves and a veil, or mug for the cameras
with disassembled colonies and no protective wear. Or when hiving swarms
without protective gear.
   Commercial honey producers with permanent apiary sites may find their
operations become even quicker and more efficient as they find themselves and
their employees doubly motivated to spend as little time as possible mucking
around in or near the hives.
   Commercial pollination could be hit hard by quarantines, especially
cross-country migratory beekeeping. Is there anybody on the list who operates
in Texas and has some more information about how this quarantine works?
Obviously, it means you can't take colonies out of the quarantine area, but
can you move colonies around within the quarantine area?