From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:01:14 -0500
> A fresh young mind has little bias, and is convinced with little evidence. Older minds take on some inertia and each new idea is diluted by experiences remembered.

I find this puzzling. You seem to be saying that an unbiased person is more gullible. I think that many people who attempt to be objective would take issue with your assertion that they are therefore dupes.

Your depiction of older minds (an odd concept: is there any tangible evidence that "minds age"?) is also somewhat whimsical. Obviously, new ideas are framed by experience, but that takes place in people regardless of age. The question is whether experiences prevent the older person from grasping new ideas.

There are a variety of ways of resisting new ideas, either by bias, or skepticism, or arrogance. All these ways will work to prevent learning. And eagerness to learn does not equate with the ability to absorb and apply with new concepts. But it helps.

plb