From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:47:49 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Peter
Borst <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you are really interested in raw,
>unadulterated honey, the way to go is to raise and sell comb honey. Not only
>is the best tasting, it's the cleanest and purest form.
Now you're talking. I have sold out so I will be alternating starter
strips with drawn comb in at least 2 supers per colony. Price is higher,
work is about the same, I suppose.
>Nobody has mentioned the effect that centifuging has on honey. It
>incorporates air and often dirt into the honey. That is why we normally
>settle out the foreign matter, and strain or even filter honey.
I hope we have a good discussion on this one. I try to wipe off any bits
that might fall off each frame before centrifuging with a damp cloth.
>I am all for getting the best price for honey. But to sell dirty honey as
>somehow superior to clean honey due to the presence of "enzymes" with no
>documented benefit, seems dishonest to me.
I thought the discussion was about selling heated honey rather than
unheated honey - the rest is like for like i.e. one variable, the rest
controlled. I seem to remember that many Japanese prefer honey allowed
to drain from comb. What do you think about pressed honey as regards
potential dirt?
--
James Kilty