From:
Scott Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2013 18:53:46 -0800
Bob wrote - Looking forward to 2014 bee season

Hi Bee-Lers!  I found Bob's note interesting and after having spent time managing colonies in So. Michigan winters I'm glad I'm now in No. CA.  This month the temps have ranged from the high 20s to mid 40s and this week from the mid 40s to mid 60s and the bees have been flying.  Last year I found a few drones in all my hives in early Jan!  All haves are bringing in some light colored pollen from the loquat and eucalyptus trees that are flowering so the queens are still laying.  I'll be checking them soon to check brood, honey stores and treating early for mites.  In this location I have to plan and implement IPM, swarm control and buildup starting in Jan to take advantage of Feb almond and March fruit tree bloom, avoid early March swarming and maximize  March to May honey flow.  I plan on requeening all hives in March following the strong Feb almond pollen inflow.  I too look forward to the 2014 season but we have had very little rain this year compared to last and if we don't get enough from Jan to March it could be a very early and quick season,  If the colonies are not ready (I don't do my best to make them ready) then yield could be close to nothing and summer feeding may be the order of the day.  Good luck (and hard work) to all for 2014!

Scott
East Bay Area, No. CA