From:
Peter Bussell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:34:58 -0500
Hi,
Thank you for the response to "white is best". I cannot find any really
substantial reason to label colour. From my experience the public
doesn't know taste. The customers who comes to the farm gate wants '
that good honey I got last year from you'. I understand the moisture
grading but that too seem moot because most beekeepers do not do any
quantitative testing to determine moisture content other than sealed vs
non. The whole issue seems subjective. Why don't we label for 'heated vs
non ' or 'processed vs non' or why not identify the region or locality
the honey came from the way wine is or major plant groups in the area
which may have contributed? Price based on scarsity of a colour of honey
doesn't make much sense.
    I try to educate my customers as to the range of plants my bees work
but every year depending on conditions the flavours are
different.Obviously there are quite identifiable flavours like buckwheat
that could be put on a label. Also flavour changes overall with the food
it is combined with. Honey is unique. Please lets "forget white".
Peter