From:
Mark Osborne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:28:33 -0700
I may have made a fatal( to the bees) mistake today.
Situation:  1st year bee rookie
            Located in Sonoma County Ca
            1 hive consisting of 2 deeps 3 meds
            Started fro 3 # package April 20 99

        I was installing a "Beltsville screen insert on the bottom board, lots
of bees in the air. Noon ~85F no wind. All is going well, no brood in
bottom deep, lots of honey. decided to remove to save to feed to bees in
winter if needed. Second deep goes on fine, some older brood, lots of
honey. Next med, I look for younger and uncapped brood, not any uncapped
visible. Pick up med to replace on hive stand, It seems kind of heavy,
but not as heavy as the deep I just replaced. Turn 90 degrees and second
Med that was stuck to bottom drops, turns upside down in the dirt, and
generally panics entire hive.

Now, I suspect that the queen was in this Medium. I have lots of dead,
injured and dirty bees in the dust. I am unhappy, the bees even more so.

I continue to pick up the mess, No frames fell completely out of the
medium, but it got really dirty. I replace the meduim. I install Apistan
strips, reassemble remainder of hive, and get the hell out of there. I'm
followed a good long way (~100+ yds) by some very angry bees. I thank
whoever I can think of that I bought a good bee suit.

What next? Will they requeen and survive the winter? (Assuming she was
in that pile of dead dirty bees) Do I look at the hive in a week or so
to see if there is any egglaying? Do I take up Golf?

It is a lot harder than it looks....

Thanks
Mark