Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 05:37:11 -0500
>I would like to understand a little more of what people wear for bee keeping.

>What do people wear normally in the apiary and what is the core practical reason why?  ......   is it keeping warm or minimising the number of stings or what ....

Here a few shots of guys in my outfit.  The fellow in the sandals (not shown), and tee-shirt is me.

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/picture_008.jpg
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2004/601026.jpg
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2004/jun1.jpg
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/may8_021.jpg

As you can see, they did not like to get stung and did not mind wearing several layers of clothes.
FWIW, we washed and bleached our bee suits every day, and at one time sent them out to a linen service.

As for keeping warm, my daughter and I went to pick up some mating nucs from a beekeeper one time in July and his Mexican crew came into the yard.  They were wearing woollen stocking caps (toques) that went down over their ears with veils over them.  It was a hot day, I thought.  We were dressed in short sleeves.

Personally, these days, I wear an oversize, very lightweight bee suit, mostly to keep the sun off my skin, and sandals.  I like it very loose and wear very little under it unless the day is cool.   On warm days, I usually just wear briefs under it.

I wear thin gloves now, just to protect my skin from wax and propolis, but prefer not to wear them for simple inspections.

Years ago, I pulled honey dressed onl;y in sandals and a pair of shorts, but I find that thses days the sun stings more than the bees.  I don't know if it is increased UV or my ageing skin.