From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:08:47 -0500
I will make a couple comments based on my use of the product api life var.

>. Leave 7 to 10 days and replace with another wafer and after 7 to 10 days
>replace for a 3rd time. This will complete the treatment.

These need to be made timely. In my opinion three treatments at 7 days is
best. Also only two treatments and not getting the third on has greatly
reduced efficacy.

>Treatment most effective at average daytime temperatures of 65°.

Because fumes are the kill method I would amend the above to say:
65F daytime is the lowest temp which will give the top kill. The best
results ( from my testing) has been at temperatures approaching 90F. Over
90F. one might consider pulling fresh tablets. A tablet which has been in
place for 4 or 5 days should be fine. If one tablet has been used and the
temps climb to above 90F I would wait until temperatures drop to around 90F.
and then resume treatment as per label.

What you see at temps over 90F. is a small amount of brood kill. eggs &
larva. However the experts have told me that when thymol & formic acid dose
is correct for maximum varroa kill you should see some slight brood kill
when first applied. I assure those which simply toss a full apilife var
tablet over the center of the brood nest you will get a bunch of brood kill.

My friend Randy Oliver in one of his articles noted some minor brood kill
with a 50 gram dose of apigaurd (pictures in article). To me I would say was
a sign the dose was correct but perhaps the temps were a bit high at time of
application. Temperature has everything to do with thymol and menthol
applications. *if* you use the plastic scoop which comes with apiguard in
the pail to measure you get a 60 gram dose. I reported my findings to Max
Watkins ( maker of apiguard) and Max said changes would be made as far as
doses and a different measure tool the next year. Did not happen. In fact I
believe his comments to Randy & myself concerning apiguard are in the
archives.

I did find that 3 25 gram doses of apiguard stopped brood kill but not sure
I received the same control as 2 fifty gram doses. Doses are complex for
many reasons and one size might not fit all situations.

When apiguard came on the market the big marketing tool (over apilife var)
was the fact you only used two treatments instead of three. I believe you
need three treatments for top control with a thymol product  I
also question if a 25 gram dose is enough and possibly a fifty gram dose is
a bit high.

Apilifevar might not give as good of a control with races of bees which
heavily use  propolis as those bees can stop the fumes very fast ( personal
experience) with propolis. Correct application and close eye on temps are
important to success and checking varroa load before and after treatment (
on at the least a couple hives) will give an idea of if your treatment was
successful.

When hobby people had access to local bee equipment suppliers they learned
the ins and outs of treatment. Now most simply read the adds in catalogs and
order. What is printed ( like in the add posted) is about all the
information they get other than instructions with the products which can be
over simplified.

Unlike when chemical strips such as apistan was first introduced ( and
provided a 98% kill within days it seems) the thymol products need careful
attention to the details to provide as high as a 95% varroa kill as the add
says.

bob