From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:54:12 EDT

In a message dated 15/10/2007 14:07:40 GMT Standard Time,  da
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<Likewise I was not there, but I do wonder how much the change  was
influenced by a few 'well known' and possibly over persuasive
individuals that were revered at the  time.>>

I also wonder whether Amm genes were really  eliminated, given that they
appear to have been well established by the  Victorian era. I always suspect that
what you really have over there is a  variable hybrid which includes a good
bit of Amm. For all their efforts at  breeding Carniolans, the Germans never
eliminated the influence of the native  bee, and their work was far more
intensive than anything I've heard of in the  States.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley,
Birmingham  UK