From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 22:13:34 -0500
Hello Stephen & All,
> In that context, even if SMR queens prove to supress 100% Varroa d./j.
> reproduction does this still mean that they are good all-around bees? That
> is, do they incorporate traits for tracheal mite resistance, low swarming,
> hygienic behaviour, etc., etc.? I was also wondering if the selective
> breeding for Varroa resistance may actually leave the SMR bee wide open to
some other susceptibility. So, if we were all to jump on the SMR bandwagon
could that be similar to putting all our eggs in one basket? I don't know,
I'm just asking.

Both Barry & I worry the same thing.  We know very little about the lineage
of the SMR queens.  Mine seem to be Carniolans.  Almost black.  I am VERY
happy with the bees I use now.  Italians. They outproduce any bees I have
ever worked with.  It is hard for me to even replace one queen with a SMR
queen but I know the day is coming when our chemicals are not going to work
on varroa.  If the SMR bees are the answer we are looking for then our bee
breeders will selective breed from the SMR line for the traits you describe
above.  Excellent questions and fitting way for me to bow out of the
discussion as I have added about all I can add for now.  Time will answer
Stephen's questions.  Time will answer the 4.9mm cell size debate.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri