From:
andrea young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2010 11:34:23 -0400
Both Randy's and Bob's, and everyone's, insights have been thought
provoking.
I am going to need some time to sit down to cross-reference and digest all
the input.

Randy, I would tend to agree with you about the rebound, but I worry a bit
about how such a rebound would be affected by 'outside' criteria, such as
pesticides, herbicides, etc.

How and where would one best set up a 'test' apiary dedicated to breeding
natural resistance to 'CCD', whatever that really is, and without addition
of chems or meds?

And would one have to start with more naturally resistant strains, such as,
apparently, Russians, or should one start with Italians, Carnis, or a mix
(Bob, I'm assuming you would feel this to be less likely to succeed), and
see if overall resistance can be increased?

And, given the fact that we live in a chemical stew, would such an endeaver
be unproductive unless we also 'breed' for resistance to environmental
chemicals, which will unfortunately be with us for a while?
In other words, CAN we get back to a 'clean' environment, and, if not, do we
need to make sure any new stock be bred taking the answer into
consideration.

Thank you all again for your thoughtful comments.
:)A

--
"When the well runs dry, we learn the worth of water" - Benjamin Franklin