Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:07:47 -0800
?> None of the available subs contain the expensive powdered eggs most
homemade formulas used today use and for one simple reason that using the
eggs would drive the cost of the subs up.

Actually, the reason has more to do with spoilage than anything else.  If
the substitute is made and consumed on the spot, this is not a problem, but
if there is a chance it may sit for a while, as is the case with bulk,
ready-made products, spoilage is likely if eggs are incorporated.

> I use the Dadant product the most  because I can pickup in Illinois

Anyone who uses enough at a time, or can pool with other beekeepers, can get
continent-wide free shipping -- and even discounts -- from Global, and I
assume other suppliers.  It is worth asking.  A few dollars and minutes
spent on phone calls can save thousands.

As for formula, if anyone wants eggs, it is just a matter of asking.

I'll speak about Global since I know their policies.  Global is a custom
patty maker.  They make whatever is requested, but most people just buy
their standard off-the-shelf products.

*Anything* you specify (that is safe and legal  to have in a animal feed
plant) will be made to your own specifications for cost plus.  (They will
not handle pollen that is not from a known and legal source and radiated).

Secret formulas will be kept secret if requested.  Just ask for a
non-disclosure agreement.  Others have.

In other words, if you ask, and know what you want, you can have *anything*
made to your specs.  You can supply the ingredients yourself or have the
patty-maker source them for you.