From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:03:53 -0400
Waldemar wrote:
> They said a
> virgin's weight (~200 g plus was best if I recall) was an
> indicator of how many ovaries would become functional
> affecting how many eggs she could lay.

Some may call this nit picking, but the above statement is not quite
correct, and I am writing this from memory so I hope I get it correct.  All
queens have 2 ovaries.  Wlademar's statement should read, "an indicator of
how many OVARIOLES would become functional."  The analogy I use to make the
distinction between ovaries and ovarioles is, the ovaries are the factories
where eggs are assembled, the ovarioles are the work stations within the
factories where the raw materials are put together."  All queens have 2
factories, all queens create eggs.  However, a queen with two factories with
many workstations can (and does) produce many more eggs than a queen with
two factories with fewer workstations.  A many-ovarioled queen is far
superior to a fewer-ovarioled queen.  Differences can range from the low end
of around 100 ovarioles to the high end of around 180 ovarioles.  A high-end
queen may be almost twice as good as a low end queen.  The nourishment of
the developing larva is what determines how many ovarioled develop within a
developing queen.  This is why it is best to use very young larvae when
grafting queens.  The earlier on a larva is fed to become a queen, the more
likely it is that the final product (the queen herself) will be on the
higher end ovariole count.

Of course, there are other factors that determine the quality of a queen,
such as successful mating.  A poorly mated many-ovarioled queen will
probably not be as good as a well mated, fewer-ovarioled queen.  I'm
speculating here, I do not know if this has ever been studied.  However,
with all the variables affecting the end product, it is wise to optimise the
chances whenever possible.  In the case of developing larvae, nourishment,
and ovariole count, it is best to maximize chances by starting with the
youngest larvae available and feeding the colony making the queens with
extra pollen (not pollen substitute).  Removing a queen to stimulate a
colony to raise queens opens one to the chances that the bees may choose
larvae that are older than ones a beekeeper could choose.  Then again, if
there's a chance the bees will choose a less than optimally aged larva there
is also a chance the bees will choose an optimally aged larva.  The thing
is, chance is introduced when it need not be.

But I digress, my intent was to make the distinction between ovaries and
ovarioles.

Aaron Morris - thinking numbers count!