From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 00:46:35 -0700
> Maybe that is what Allen Dick meant by having 10 things.  Having multiple
> things is important, but I think diversity, attractiveness, "come-ons" like
> an observation hive, and SALESMANSHIP are more important.

Thanks for answering this, George.  I've been pretty busy the last little while.

I guess I generally quit at about ten items, because of the hassle of moving
things in and out of the market buildings or sites, and the fact that we
sometimes hired help when we were going to quite a few markets.

That is not to say that more products might not be better.  Even if an item
hardly ever sells, if it stops people and promotes conversation, it relieves
boredom and creates opportunities.  Besides, it distinguishes you from the
others art the market and makes your honey a distinct product and not just a
commodity.

We always kept one variety that we charged a hefty premium for (usually
buckwheat), just to emphasize that there are differences and to make our main
honey type look less costly.  We also carried a few 5 gallon pails along to make
the others look smaller.  People always want the 'middle size'.  Sometimes if we
had to carry far, we just took empties for show, since we hardly sold any of
them, and would go out to the truck for them if we had a real sale.

In regard to all the heavy toting of honey, I always thought a lightweight car
trailer with drop sides that made into a counter would be ideal.  It could be
run into the market like a handcart and serve as a table, if it were designed
and built right.

Such a trailer would need to be dustproof, and be able to be locked -- both
against pilfering and against being taken away in its entirety -- but it would
eliminate the part of markets I hated the most, carrying in, setting up, tearing
down, and carrying out.

allen