From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:16:20 -0500
Hello Waldemar,
Thanks for the information. I thought about contacting Dr. Woyke myself but
knew language would be a problem.
I have been busy with spring bee work so little time for BEE-L.

I did countless hours of AHB research for the article in May ABJ. I have got
a couple articles yet to do but hopefully those will not be as time
consuming.

Dr. Woyke said:
>  In the beginning, after working hive, I would count 1,400 stings in my
gloves.  As time went by and I got better at handling them,

Many have pointed out the beekeeper can learn to choose times to work AHB
(sunshine and honey flow on) and AHB is workable BUT they are always
unpredictable.

We have been moving hives into apple pollination over the last couple
nights. These hives are boiling with bees. Some fresh from almonds and some
which have been fed pollen patties and syrup in Missouri. Saturday night the
girls were testy for a temperature in the 50's. Took some smoke to get the
girls calmed down.

When bees are upset I always wonder what beekeeping  might be like 10 years
or 20 years from now.

Working AHB as Dr. Woyke talks about and working & moving bees like
commercial beekeepers do is like comparing apples to oranges. We can not
pick and choose our times. The call comes and we move bees. One reason I am
not looking forward to AHB problems.

Once in a holding yard in California I warned the beekeepers feeding the
1350 hives about two "hot" hives. They laughed. the next time I called on
their cell phone they reported they had found the two "hot" hives. Smoke
only upset these two hives  further.

Much talk on BEE-L has been about the good traits of AHB. Sadly it only
takes a couple "hot" hives to ruin your day or like Dr. Woyke said get 1400
stings in your gloves.

Beekeeping will change once AHb has colonized the southern U.S. Both for
hobby and commercial beekeepers.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison