From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 19:03:05 +0100
> one-year comb rotation is the recommended practice in Denmark.

That would bee by hobby beeks... Commercial beeks can't afford the cost.

> Unless the foundation had a lot of extra wax in its composition,
> I'm not sure if I understand that adding new foundation annually
> doesn't reduce honey crops.

Now that depends a lot on the honey flow. With a strong enough honey
flow the bees will produce wax whether they need it or not. With our
short intense flow in Scandinavia It's not like what you will see in
southern US. More like what Allen has in Canada.

If giving foundation to a colony in spring to draw out, yes they will
have trouble to produce wax and it will have negative influence on
honey production.

If letting strong hives draw out foundation on a major honey flow it
will not affect honey production, provided they also have enough space
in already drawn comb to store honey. I usually give a full box of
foundation on top and put another bow with drawn comb above to ensure
they don't run out of space. This way they will have empty cells for
honey, and foundation to put the wax they produce.

Those frames will be used for changing old damaged frames in brood
nest in autumn or next spring. Inserting a frame or two of white comb
in the brood nest in spring will not do any damage, while frames of
foundation will slow down the queens egg laying and thus reduce the crop.

All beekeeping is local......

--
P-O
Sweden Lat 60 north