From:
Garry Libby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 20:07:25 -0500
Hi Gary,

     I have used the plastic hive parts from Kelley and I love them. I
create top ventilation in My hives so I don't have any moisture problems.
But I don't really see any more moisture than in the few wooden topped hives
that also use. In the winter I don't really think wood holds that much
moisture anyway (please, someone correct Me if I am wrong). I also use the
homeosote board grooved insulating tops, they soak up moisture that the bees
will go after on warmer days. I painted some of My plastic outer covers to
camouflage them and the paint has lasted pretty good but the paint comes off
the top from the stones I use as weights. I find the outer covers to weigh a
lot more than the wooden covers I see on the market.
      The bottom boards will last forever, I am very satisfied with them the
only little thing I don't like is the plastic wedge in the center of the
front entrance area because that stops Me from using a varroa trap. I think
it is supposed to be for support and might be removed without causing any
harm. the ridge they add to prevent the hive body  from slipping off is only
needed for the first few weeks, after being used for a short while they will
be just as stable as wooden bottom boards.
      And the plastic inner covers only have one easily correctable fault.
They might bow in the center before being used for the first time, but if it
is laid in the sun for a little while they will return to normal.

     I wish someone would invent a hive with the great ventilation and
propolis free frame  features of the D.E. Hive and the permanence of the
plastic. I'm sure that would be a really popular product.
Garry Libby
Boston, USA