From:
Seppo Korpela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:48:35 +0300
> One of these is mentions that Austria is the first country in the EU
> (European Union) to approve Oxalic Acid for the treatment of Varroa
> Mites. Other countries are expected to follow.

In Finland oxalic acid treatments are registered for varroa treatments as of April 2001,
see http://www.apis.admin.ch/english/host/pdf/alternativ/York/korpela.pdf

In Finland the most common method to use oxalic acid is by trickling treatment, which is
a much handier way to treat than by vaporizing and also safe to bees, if done only once
in late season when colonies are broodless. We use the treatment as a 2nd phase in
integrated treatment, where 1st treatment is done either with formic acid or thymol pads
(registered this autumn for varroa control), see:
http://www.apis.admin.ch/english/host/pdf/alternativ/York/KasparKonzept.pdf