From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:00:35 -0500
Supplemental Issue on Diseases of Bees Available online 14 January 2010.

> The Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, in its effort to continue to expand coverage of important diseases topics in our field is initiating a series known as Supplemental Issues of the Journal. These issues will typically appear yearly, and will provide a broad overview of specialized topics. It is thus a pleasure for me to introduce this new series with an issue devoted entirely to Diseases of Bees, with emphasis on the pathogens and parasites that cause these diseases.

Brian A. Federicia,  Editor-in-Chief Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, Department of Entomology and Graduate Programs in Genetics and Microbiology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA

Sponsorship Statement

>  honeybees, like all organisms are subject to diseases caused by pathogens, among these being various viruses, bacteria, and fungi. In addition, the use of chemical insecticides, especially when used improperly, can take a heavy toll on bee populations. Over the years, we have endeavored to develop environmentally safe, green technologies aimed at specific targeting of insect pests through the use of highly selective bacterial insecticides based on the insecticidal bacterium, Bacillus thuringiensis, or genetically improved crops that produce narrow-spectrum insecticidal proteins of this species. In this regard, we are pleased to help support the publication of this special issue of the Journal of Invertebrate Pathology devoted to review articles that treat diseases of bees and the pathogens that cause these diseases. We believe that increased knowledge of these diseases and the use of our products will help maintain and improve the health of honeybee populations throughout the world.

Pioneer
Valent BioSciences
Syngenta
Dow AgroSciences