From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:02:04 -0700
I recently posted about viruses and worms on the Internet these days and
advised members to get two programs: a firewall and a virus checker.

Obviously some have not heeded this advice and as a result some members have
since become victims.  I know, because I have email from some of them with
nasty attachments, and I have also received panicy emails from list members
who are being hit.

As far as I know, NO ONE IS HARVESTING THE LIST FOR EMAIL ADDRESSES, and I
do know BEE-L IS NOT SENDING OUT VIRUSES.

What IS happening is that victims of the worms have old messages from BEE-L
saved on their own computers.  It seems quite clear that the worms look
through these messages and randomly select a message.  The programs then
create what appears to be a reply to that message -- but which is in fact
message carrying a trojan -- and send it to the original writer of the
message.

Anyone who took my advice and installed ZoneAlarm is safe from the payload
such messages even if they view the message.  Moreover ZoneAlrm does not
permit a trojan to 'phone home' or to send out copies of itself.

A good virus checker is a good backup safety device in the event that a
trojan or viruse somehow manges to get by ZA, which is not IMO likely at
this point.

I receive tons of viruses and trojans every day because these malevelant
programs get my address from those who read my website and because my
address is out on the web.  ZoneAlarm has caught them all.  No sweat.

Wise up.  Get Zonealrum so that your next message to me is not a virus.

Recommended software:

My personal firewall preference is Zone Alarm.  It is a free download at
http://www.zonelabs.com/ for personal use.  It is simply the best available,
and simple to use.  Don't trust the firewall built into Windows XP.  It, and
many others out, there simply won't do the trick.

My personal anti-virus is currently AVG.  A personal version is available as
a free download from from http://www.grisoft.com/ and it can be set to
update automatically or updated manually (for free) over the net whenever
you like.  I do so once or twice daily.

allen

http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/