From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 05:46:22 -0600
>Likely the same old nag, but ridden by several jockies, some new.

Nosema and KBV were found in 100% of the CCD samples. Dealing with KBV might
be considered new but still falls for the most part under PMS.

Although N.Ceranae is a new strain (if you can call being in the U.S. 10
years and widespread new) it still falls under the category of SSDD as would
KBV in my opinion.

I look forward to your articles Randy. Your articles give practical
solutions to our problems! I considered years ago doing the kind of articles
you have been doing but the number of hours involved held me back.

 Its a struggle to even stay a week behind on beekeeping. The one thing
about beekeeping which always stays the same is the fact beekeeping never
stays the same. An example is I thought my bees were ready for winter two
weeks ago but checked a couple days ago and with the warm weather the hives
are light. So fed yesterday and will feed bees all day today. Two weeks of
warm weather with bees flying every day and winter stores can disappear in a
hurry.
In my area hives need a certain amount of stored feed for winter. Going into
winter light can cause huge winter losses (not now but in February) *if* you
have not got ways to get feed to those bees then (such as candy boards or
feeders over the brood nest). Last spring in February we had ice on the
ground for a month in places and could not get into feed. If the winters
start returning to the winters of old I may have to make some candy boards
up

Do others on the list in the north still use candy boards? If so what are
your thoughts and the way you make candy and the boards?

bob

--
believed to be clean.