From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2016 18:44:30 -0700
>The winter bees are those raised in late summer and are not forced out of
the brood nest by the pressure of newborn bees, they do not transition to
foraging, and hence they remain long lived bees. Once brood rearing picks
up again in spring, the older bees are pushed out the brood area, they
transition to the short lifespan mode, and soon die.

Interesting hypothesis, but not supported by Lloyd's data.  The transition
to short longevity bees in spring occurs at start of broodrearing, not upon
emergence of that brood. This is why the spring turnover is so
critical--the diutinus bees start "aging" rapidly as the first brood is
incubating.

>What if it’s the fact they are not depleting body reserves by being nurse
bees....??

I've seen no evidence that nursing depletes body reserves, but evidence to
the contrary.

>what if that "lack of task" is what triggers the differences?

This hypothesis has merit : )  Amdam's research suggests that it is the
stimulus of brood pheromone alone, but lack of task could well have
something to do with it.

This discussion is making me consider Charlie's point:  that a single round
of brood is not enough to produce enough diutinus bees for the winter
cluster.  The math needs to work.  I have not yet resolved this question to
my satisfaction.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA