From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:50:11 -0700
> James Fischer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  “The growers
> >were waiting impatiently for the beekeepers to move
> their
> >hives, as the growers wanted to burn the weeds and
> brush
> >and then flood the fields.”

I wish to comment a bit further here due to new evidence again debunking your claim of these ancient beekeepers being migratory.

That the growers were wanting to burn the weeds.
This indicates the time of the season as during the dead time of year:

* well past bloom*,
* well past fruit set*, and
* after harvest was complete*.

I ask the migratory beekeepers out there.
What migratory beekeeper would leave their hives in one place on a crop till well past bloom, fruit set, and harvest?  Would you even be called  a migratory beekeeper then?

You hold this example as proof of these colonies in Ancient Egypt being migratory and on specific bloom.  But these beekeepers having had their hives in the farm lands at that time year would indicate that they are NOT migratory.  And perhaps, only needed to move hives out only due to the pending flooding of the Nile and burning of the fields at seasons end.  A great example of transhumance beekeeping, and not suggestive of migratory as often defined today.

Until archeologists un earth a diesel powered barge from the tombs of Egypt, I’m afraid there is little comparison between Ancient Egypt’s beekeepers and their donkeys to today’s migratory beekeepers and their 600 horsepower Mac Trucks. ;)

Keep on Truckin’
Joe