From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:20:42 -0400
Peter Borst writes:  “Or maybe one must look for another cause of the non-
virulence. You
seem to leave out the chief reason mites are so destructive and that
is the virus load they bring.”

   I am wondering if this is absolutely, undeniably, categorically,
irrefutably true or if, on the other hand, the fact that mites suck most of
the life out of bee pupae has anything to do with it.  Has there been a
direct cause and effect connection made between the viruses that are
associated with high mite levels and the symptoms that we see in colonies
that are heavily infested with both?  Or is this still largely to somewhat
in the hypothetical stage.  I know this has been batted around before, but
I can’t remember if science has finally settled the matter.

Steve Noble