From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:29:29 -0400
I was glad to see Randy Oliver's comments concerning using ultra
bleach (I personally always use Clorox brand) in a 6% solution for
cleaning up AFB.  Early in my work experience I was in the food
industry and learned the fabulous disenfectant qualities of bleach.
For years I have told hobbyists to use a 20% solution 'because it will
kill all bacteria and fungus' on wood and two years ago I also advised
using it on Styrofoam.  In the latter instance the hive was 'rotten'
with AFB, but there has not been any recurrence.

AFAIK it is both real cheap and real effective.

As far as rinsing is concerning...I have said 'lots', meaning 100X or
more of the cleaning solution applied.  A job for a hose, but with a
hose it is real easy.  I have never had any problems that seem to
relate to a difficulty with contamination because of an inadequate
rinse.  I have some Styro top feeders that I have been known to soak
in a bleach solution for 48 hours and after rinsing have not had any
apparent problems with contamination.

Lloyd
--
Lloyd Spear