Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:56:30 EDT
Once in a while, Bob and I agree.  Our surveys indicated from the  start
CCD in Canada, especially Ontario and British Columbia.  Exact same  symptoms,
going back to when it was first announced in U.S.

The long winters in Canada can make it difficult in the spring to decide
whether bees died of normal overwintering problems, CCD, or a combination.

Doubtful that bees have option of disappearing in winter when  wrapped.  We
had a hard hit from CCD in 2008, many colonies had unusually  high losses
of bees - piles on bottom board.  The survivors then continued  to crash with
typical CCD signs in the spring/early summer.

I've been told that the OFFICIAL standpoint of the Canadians is "There have
 been no verified cases of CCD in Canada".  Since CCD is still defined by
its signs (symptoms), there is no way anyone could 'verify' it in Canada,
since  no one knows what causes it.

I do know that last fall, most of the provinces began to see the first
varroa mites in the northern regions.

Jerry