From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:46:08 -0800
Hi All,

Last late summer I visited my yards in Nevada irrigated alfalfa.  In two
yards, a few colonies had about 2 lbs of dead and dying bees on the bottom
boards, just beginning to be carried out in the morning.  Bees writhing,
tongues out.  No other dead bees on the ground in the yards.  Obviously
happened the night before.

Took samples.  No nosema.  Bromenshenk found no unusual virus loads.

Sure looked like pesticide, but growers, crop duster, and county agents said
no spraying at all that time of year.

Sent samples to Maryann Frasier.  Just got results--nothing but zeroes--no
detectable pesticides whatsoever (I haven't used synthetic miticides in
years).

I've seen this several times the past few years.  Usually one colony in a
yard with a pile of fresh dead bees (1-2 lbs).  Usually in summer in Nevada,
but also saw in almonds last year.  Colonies generally recover.

I have no clue as to what is causing.  Nor why it would happen to several
colonies the same night, with no sign of previous deaths.

Randy Oliver