From:
Beekeepers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2017 23:10:41 +0100
>There is no way to 'save' a laying worker colony, because it is already
genetically dead.  In all the other methods, where you put in frames of
brood and shake and add queens, you are just combining it with another
colony, but in a super labor-intensive and inefficient way.

I have to disagree.  If the laying worker colony has a large number of bees then those are worth saving.  There is very little work involved in combining it with a nuc.  I did one today - had a 6 frame nuc that needed to be moved on into a full-sized hive so a couple of days ago I moved it from the home (queen breeding apiary) and put it beside the LW colony.  Today I simply shook out the LW colony and installed the nuc in the brood box; I filled the box with the best of the frames from the LW colony.  It probably took a couple of minutes at most.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W