From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 15:33:19 -0400
>Let's see, it seems to me that somehow a genetic modification occurred,
that
>would have naturally died out, but humans have maintained it.  The
>watermelons have been around for 40 or more years.  Where was the anti-GM
>crowd?  Busy eating seedless watermelons?

While you have a good point in that such things are the result of mutations,
the GM issue goes beyond what one would normaly expect to find. It is not
the case of a gene mutating and selection  regulating the spread, but of the
introduction of DNA from other species. For example bacterial DNA being
introduced into plants.

Too be sure any mutation could result in a situation that could be
dangerous, but the fast distribution of GM is the primary concern. If a
watermelon were to be found at the edge of field that had some property we
wanted it could take generations before it found its way into widespread
use. Today there are millions of Americans that have consumed a GM product
without knowing it.

A seedless watermelon is kind of self regulating. GM appears to be spreding
so fast that it may be like Varroa. Once it is found in the wild it will be
far to late to do anything about it. It may not be long before a good
portion of our food is GM, no matter how we feel about it.