From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 19:00:40 -0500
>I don't know which "researchers" you are talking about but Prof. Roger
>Morse of Cornell University spent many years studying the African bees and
>that certainly doesn't sound like anything HE said.

Those of us which have read the bee magazines and attended the national
meetings remember full well the *predictions* of researchers as too what
would happen and the amount of spread.

I also find it curious that you have said on BEE-L for many years that Dee
Lusby's success was based on her bees being Africanized but you seem of the
opinion Weavers success was only due to bee breeding?

Hundreds of articles have been written in the bee magazines by researchers
about the queens which escaped in Brazil and their trip north.

Round numbers we all remember such as "300 miles per year." A very
inaccurate figure as more or quite a bit less.

Roger was careful in what he wrote . I have deep respect for the  late Roger
M. but his opinion was only one of many researchers and he indicated in his
writings that some researchers have maligned AHB.

Predicting what the bees are going to do is like what I have called "arm
chair beekeeping" on BEE-L.
In other words the bees do not always follow what is written about the bees
and predicting what is going on the the bee yard from an office chair is not
the best practice.

I drive to yards and pop lids and rarely move bees into an area in Missouri
without driving out and checking conditions and honey plants.

Maybe one of these days I will go to my bee magazine collection and pull up
some old researcher predictions and post.

Headed to bed now as we start early in morning pulling the last two yards of
honey supers. Temps in the 40's F. which is better than the supers we pulled
in 100F. Toss on the truck and head for the barn!
bees in a hard cluster below the supers.

bob