From:
Tom Sanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:02:38 -0500
Dear Bee-l'ers,

My original posting was not delivered to the list.  Thus, I am reposting
it as recommended by the SYSOP.

I, too, was shocked at the precipitous passing of Andy Nachbaur.  Only
last April on a jaunt to see relatives in California, my mother and I
stopped by to see him on a fine spring morning.  He bought us lunch at
the Chinese restaurant he frequented just at the top of Paradise Lane in
Los Banos.   He seemed in rare form that day.  Not much hint that the
Four Horsemen would soon descend as he reported in one of his last posts.

I believe I first met Andy in San Diego in the late 1970s at the
American Beekeeping Federation.  Later, he wrote and distributed what I
still think is a classic in bee literature though not formally
published, his case for SAD and BAD bees in California
<http://beenet.com/sad.htm>.  The information on bee nutrition presented
in his treatise had great influence on me, and to some extent, was the
reason I undertook my Florida feeding study (Sanford, M.T. & W.B.
Johnson. 1991. "A Florida Honey-Bee Feeding Study Using the Beltsville
Bee Diet," BeeScience, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 72-76.). Since then I have
published several papers and articles on the value of providing bees
adequate protein as well as carbohydrates.

Andy and I got into the Information Age at almost the same time.  He and
I often referred to each other's work. While I plugged away on a
mainframe and then one of the first Zenith desktops here at the
University of Florida, he went to computer shows and developed his
Wildbees BBS.  Gradually he shifted to the World Wide Web
<http://beenet.com/>, continuing his penchant for keeping up with new
things.  This brings to mind a question. What will happen to his Web
presence?  In all probability it will still be there for some time in
the future, perhaps the first example of a virtual beekeeper whose body is
no longer with us, but whose writings still are. At least they can be
read today as this is being written.

Like others, I appreciated Andy's wit and straightforward comments,
though I didn't always agree with what he said. He was able to provoke
further, careful thought on matters, which to me was most important.  I
was perhaps never so proud than when he, not much of a fan of bee