From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 20:45:59 +0900
>It seems to me the original posting under this heading was asking for a way
>to estimate a hive's population; we seem to have gotten off the subject.
>
>I, too, would like an answer to his question.  I have three hives with widely
>varying populations, and would like to know which is "normal".

Hive populations vary considerably according to effectiveness of foraging
bees, nectar sources available, whether queen is laying full combs or
skipping cells, quality of pollen sources and type of bee.  Your management
technique should be directed to having all hives at the same site working at
maximum efficiency.  If one hive has a higher population than the others,
examination of the hives and comparison of the brood patterns is a good
place to start.  Hives with higher populations collect more honey.  Some
bees will swarm with only half a box of bees - these should be culled as
unproductive.  I expect to see hives at the same apiary within about 10%
variation in bees and honey.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island