Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:55:10 -0800
Olda Vancata wrote:

> > A beekeeper friend just gave me a honeymead hydrometer for
> > Christmas. Can anyone please help me with the
> > calculations/calibrations/conversion table needed so I can also use
> > it as a honey moisture meter?

> I believe that honey have to high density to measure it that way, but
> if you insist the conversion table is :
>
> water in %        dens. kg/l
> 13                   1,446
> 14                       1,440
> 15                       1,435
> 16                   1,430
> 17                   1,424
> 18                   1,417
> 19                   1,410
> 20                   1,403
> 21                   1,395

IMHO,
You'd be starting with a pretty heavy mead to see values like that -
unlikely to get fermentation going. My hydrometer only goes up to 1.17.
Maybe there would be a way to mix a known amount of water at a known SG
& Temp with a known amount of honey at a known temp to bring the
combined density to a value within the hydrometer's scale, measure it
and work backwards using the ratios of water to honey to calculate the
SG of the honey and therefore ..... where was I going with this???

Think I'll have a mead and think about something else.

AL