Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:55:41 -0500

> The cost WOULD make the import impractical.  The large packers (with their
> deep pockets) would lobby that such treatment was unneccessary and that they
> would check a sample every once in awhile and see if a problem exists. The
> policing of cource would be on the honor system and each packer would report
> back IF such a problem exists.   SAFB is of casual concern to the packer.
> Losing the honey imports or increasing the cost of imports is. The only
> people concerned are Allen, Bob  or other beekeepers.  The old *song &
> dance* between the packer & the beekeeper.   In the end the packer gets his
> cheap imported honey and the beekeeper gets his SAFB. Interesting thread but
> in my opinion irradiating honey simply to keep out SAFB will never happen in
> the U.S.

Since "libratarian" ideas were mentioned in terms of open trade, I would like
to bring up the flip side of the coin. If packers did/are bringing in product
that causes someone damage it may well be time for a lawsuit to cover the
damages that have been caused.

If it can be shown that packers are bringing in harmful bacteria along with
the imported honey I am sure that the need to turn to government regulations
can be reduced by attempting to recover the industries losses in civil
court.

--

There is no doubt we need government in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net