From:
Carl Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 07:27:32 -0500
David Johnson wrote:

>Tonight a friend called with a problem.  He had checked his hives today
>and found one completely empty of any bees, dead or alive.  No brood
>or capped honey was in the combs, but the bottom board was full of wax as
if the hive had been robbed out.  Only deep brood boes full of empty comb.
What happened to the bees:

>Thanks!

This appears to be a classic case of the queen having been lost for some
reason and a worker became a laying worker.  The hive eventually became
totally drone with no workers and died out.  This is why there were no bees
found in the hive.  There was probably some robbing as well, however the
drones could not defend or resist the attacks.  The mold found is most likely
a result of moist condition in the hive and a condition that can occure in a
populated hive with the right conditions.
                Carl Mueller            [log in to unmask]
                407-798-33839
                West Palm Beach, Florida USA
         I think therefore, I am politically incorrect!!