From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:21:36 -0800
Bob Harrison wrote:

>In ten years if I am still around I predict I will be writing of the woes
>of the California beekeeper in ABJ & BC. HUGE outfits are relocating into
>California now to chase almond pollination. California beekeepers are
>shipping their bees out of the huge state of California in summer to find
>nectar sources.

Bob,
You could write about our woes right now.  There are places in
California that you could throw a rock in any direction and hear it
bounce off the lid of a bee hive.  Every out of state colony that
collapses in almonds leaves a good supply of its mites here in the
Golden State.  It's hard for me to imagine how sweet it would be to
leave your colonies in one place all year and make a big honey crop.
Where I live it's not unusual to go six straight months in summer
without a drop of rain.  We gotta work bees nearly every month of the year.
Randy Oliver