From:
John Wolford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:48:44 -0400
Genie,

Been there and done that.  I'm a freshman at bee keeping too.  I just
finished introducing a new queen to a hive like the one you just
described....

1.  I took all frames about 30 to 40 feet away and shook every bee off.  I
then took the hive itself with those remaining bees and shook those out
too.  I was told that the idea behind this was to let the worker bees fly
back and the laying workers or bad queen would not likely return due to
their inabilty to fly.

2.  I then replaced two frames from the laying worker colony with 2 frames
from a stronger colony that had lots of brood.  I placed the new queen in
between these two frames with the screen side up and the candy facing the
front of the hive.

I just did this June 10.  I plan on examining the hive tomorrow to see if
the queen was released and is still alive if it ever stops raining.  If she
is, in about 2 - 3 weeks I plan on checking again to see if she's laying.
I'll let you know something tomorrow if she is alive.

John M. Wolford