Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:10:18 PDT
Hi  all,

To bee or not to bee ............transgenic........that's the question   (sorry I
couldnt resist)

Some conclusions so far, it is thought that enough genes exist in the
present gene pool and selective breeding will provide all our needs -
perhaps but there is some feeling that some genes we want (re varroa)
may not exist.  As highlighted by Peter, if selection experiments fail do we
wait and let nature take its course and continue to select (ie natural
mutation to produce resistance)  how long?  or open th GM box a little bit.

To start playing with genes to add specific traits  -   not enough is known
about the bee genome to do this.  Mechanisms of resistance are  likely to
involve  many genes.  To even think of identifying these, probably by gene
array technology, would cost a Mega  fortune in time and money.  I dont
think the bee industry would ever sponsor something like this.  But then,
parts of the bee genome have been sequenced (Yes - I know a very very
small amount) and  could be regarded, in theory, as the first steps for
obtaining information  towards understanding bee genetics and producing
a  GM bee.   (perhaps in the very very very  distant future)

Robert highlighted the fact that inserting genes can have unknown effects - I
totally agree.   The process of microinjection of transgenes gives rise to
random integration of the transgene with the genomic DNA and the effects
of this will be totally unknown, it could be leathal, be expressed or have no
detectable effect.  Expression could give the desired effect or impar some
other function.   Unfortunately my C57's  tell me this every day!

No-one mentioned anything about realeasing such a bee should it ever be
made

It is interesting that no-one has admitted that they are attempting any
transgenic expts in the bee.  It would not surprize me if someone
somewhere in the world was trying to introduce a chromophore such as
GFP ........... WHY ?  ..........why indeed, as a first step in proving that GM bees
could be produced (Pandoras box again)

Do we need to be working on GM bees in the near future ?  The concensus
points towards NO not even likely.

Phil

PS  I'm off on my hols again, I look forward to seeing how the discussion
continues, especially the SMR stuff.  Have to get my supers extracted