From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 05:00:27 -0700
> Now, if the
> bees are using up the available oxygen, leaving carbon dioxide, which will
> rise with the heat created, the hive becomes a death trap. The bees move
> upwards during the winter eventually ending up against the inner cover, into
> the strongest concentration of carbon dioxide.

Cabcon dioxide is *very* significantly heavier than air.

02 is roughly 16 + 16 = 32
CO2  is roughly 14 + 16 + 16 = 46

(If I remember my chemistry correctly).

Weighing roughly 150 % as much as air, it sinks like a stone.  The hive has
to be sealed pretty completely for it to be a problem.  CO2 leaving
the cluster soon cools and drops, then runs out the entrance like water.

Nonetheless, it can be a problem under some circumstances.  I seem to
recall Shapiriw (sic?) doing some measurements some years ago in the
development of his inner cover design.

Many beekeepers have reported having wrapped or unwrapped hives
covered over completely with snow and having better than usual
success. Ice storms that completely glaze over the hive could be a
problem though.

I'm a bit more concerned about excessive air exchange - with
consequent heat loss - than too little, but that is out here on the
bald prairie where winds are high and humidity is low.

Now, does anyone have a solution for mice - other than poison?
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>