From:
Ronald E Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 1996 14:06:14 -0400
I am considering using a hive scale next year to monitor more accurately the
timing of nectar flows, and as a means of learning more about what is
happening inside the hive.  I am new to beekeeping, but nevertheless, I am
aware of the significance of hive weight (especially going into winter here
in northeastern ohio).

This might be from out in left field, but I have been trying to determine
the relative weight of my hives.  I tilt a hive to the side and insert a
common bathroom scale between the bottom of the hive and the hive stand.
The reading becomes an index which I use in comparing other hives "weighed"
in the same manner.  The resulting information is limited, but simply
knowing the relative weights of my hives is somewhat useful.  With more
experience a simple "heft" might be good enough.

I would appreciate comments relating to the use of hive scales.
Thank you.

Ronald E Baker