From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:07:10 -0800

> > I was wondering how the distribution of pollen fed to the bees within the
> colony was determined.

Thank you for asking Mike.  As I've previously posted, I am in the process
of squashing some 3000 bees taken from 5 test colonies that were fed tagged
pollen supplement patties (about 1/3 have been processed).

At this point I can already tell you, that with Megabee (used because of the
palatability and small particle size) that NONE of the substitute is either
directly fed to larvae or stored in the combs.  Little drops to the bottom
of the hive or is dropped outside the entrance.

However, the substitute is widely distributed in bee guts throughout the
hive.  I am quantifying the distribution with regard to the presence of
brood, and location within the hive.

With these results, I feel that the feeding of the spiked patties would
clearly distribute the clothianidin throughout the hive.

With regard to Stan's question about contact mortality, it has been
previously demonstrated that fats applied in patty form are widely
distributed over the cuticle of the bees throughout the hive (used for
tracheal and varroa mite control).  By the addition of some vegetable oil
into the patties, I would assume that the clothianidin would be widely
distributed as a contact insecticide.  I will add tests of colothianidin
content of both whole bees and bee cuticle washes to confirm.

Again, thanks for the great questions!

Randy Oliver