Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 11:16:40 EDT
In a message dated 5/15/00 10:43:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  I would think what they are getting at is that by having the same number of
>  bees in smaller colonies the job is done with less defensive behavior.
Where
>  one hive would be used maybe four nucs would be substituted.

 We all know small colonies are easier to handle.
The Mexicans are using what they have without getting beat up by large
colonies.
Everybody said that AHB would change the way we keep bees and there is an
example.
 One of my buddies from the Islands wears an onion sack over a panama hat
when he gets a swarm. He lets em make a crop and harvests everything wax
included and lets the bees die. Next year if he gets a swarm he gets another
crop. I don't think he  owns a hive tool let alone a smoker.  I don't think
he views it as a hobby or a business just something free you can get some
honey and wax from.
  When I asked him about a mean swarm he smiled and laughed and said well you
get stung more.
   No apistan no check mite no formic no menthol no nothing. He gets to keep
bees like our grandfathers did. I kind of envy him.