From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 08:32:46 +1000
> FYI, for critical trials, we  often
> use bold, colored shapes attached to each hive - both the color and
> shapes
> vary, so that we provide two types of visual cues.

Professor Srinivasan (Srini) from the Queensland Brain Institute has shown
that bees can count.  See
http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20082910-18363-2.html  I have had a
conversation with Srini and he thinks this might help avoid drifting.  Not
the 1, 2, 3, 4  but 1, 11, 111, 1111.  It is something I have been promising
myself to try, especially on our cell builders as are they are under an
awning and in a straight line.  By putting the markings on the front, they
should be able to  recognise the configuration.  Apparently up to 1111 is OK
but after that there is no real benefit.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA