From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:21:38 -0400
Hi Ken,

You said "Thymol crystals, HAZARDOUS just like the majority of chemicals,
will not dissolve in water, a solution must be made up as follows: dissolve
one ounce of thymol crystals in five fluid ounces of surgical spirit. Shake
the bottle vigorously. Use a half fluid ounce of this solution to 112lbs
sugar in seven gallons of water."
I called a local "drug store" (pharmacy) and they never heard of Thymol
crystals, and asked if perhaps they have another name?  The pharmacy (and I)
assume that "surgical spirit" is medical grade alcohol.  Is that right?
(Fortunate that we share the same language!)

Assume we get that straight... how many gallons of syrup do you get after
dissolving 112 pounds in 7 gallons of water?  Is it just seven gallons?  I
assume not, but if it is, how can you get that much sugar to dissolve?  I
can easily dissolve 25 pounds of sugar in a five gallon pail.  To do this I
put 25 pounds of sugar in the bucket, fill the bucket with 180 degree water,
and mix.  To mix I use a commercial paint mixer that is about a meter long
and fits into the chuck of an electric 1/2" drill (apologies to those using
the metric system).  I have tried to mix 50 pounds of sugar in a five gallon
bucket, and have never been able to do so.  The best I have been able to do
has left me with about 7 gallons of syrup.

Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds(tm)  the finest in comb honey production.